National Creamsicle Day Introduction, History Of National Creamsicle Day, National Creamsicle Day Activities, The Cold Hard Facts, Why We Love National Creamsicle Day, Upcoming Dates.
Get ready to celebrate National Creamsicle Day on August 14 with joy and excitement! This special day pays tribute to one of the most iconic frozen desserts in history, just when we need it the most – in the midst of the scorching hot month of the year. Whether you’re creating delightful ice pops at home or eagerly waiting for the ice cream truck’s familiar chimes, today is the ideal occasion to indulge in a refreshing and sweet treat to beat the heat.
HISTORY OF NATIONAL CREAMSICLE DAY
The origins of National Creamsicle Day trace back to the early 20th century when Frank Epperson accidentally stumbled upon the creation of what would later be known as the Popsicle. One cold night, Epperson left a mixture of fruit juice and water outside, and the next morning, he discovered the frozen concoction with a stir stick in the center – thus, the birth of the Popsicle.
Epperson started selling his frozen fruit juice treats to classmates and friends, marketing them as “frozen drinks on a stick.” In 1924, he was granted a patent for his invention. Interestingly, the concept of “frozen suckers” had been experimented with as far back as 1872 by a couple of individuals known as the Hokey-Pokey.
During the Great Depression, the Twin Popsicle was introduced, offering two ice pops for just a nickel, making it an affordable treat for families with multiple children.
Today, Creamsicles is a brand owned by Good Humor, a subsidiary of Unilever. Alongside the classic orange flavor, Creamsicles come in various popular flavors like cherry, grape, lime, blue raspberry, and blueberry. Additionally, there are sugar-free and low-calorie variations available, as well as innovative combinations of flavors.
On National Creamsicle Day, take a moment to relish in one of summer’s simple pleasures and commemorate the history of the beloved Creamsicle!
NATIONAL CREAMSICLE DAY ACTIVITIES
Celebrate National Creamsicle Day with these delightful activities:
- Engage the family in a delightful activity by crafting your very own Creamsicles from scratch. Combine equal portions of orange juice and vanilla ice cream in a spacious bowl. Utilize popsicle molds or petite paper cups as your canvas. Carefully pour the amalgam into the cups, embedding popsicle sticks securely, then allow them to solidify completely in the freezer. After freezing, gently remove the paper cup casing, unveiling your handcrafted Creamsicles ready for enjoyment!
- Get Creative with Creamsicle Treats: Explore beyond the classic Creamsicle and try out different desserts inspired by its flavors. Experiment with Creamsicle Rice Krispies Treats, Creamsicle pie, cupcakes, cookie bars, or Cheesecakes. You can also check if there are limited edition Creamsicle-flavored Twizzlers available at your local market for a unique twist.
- Creamsicle Mimosas for Adults: For an adult version of the classic treat, toast the day with Creamsicle mimosas. In a champagne flute, mix 1/4 cup of orange juice, 1 ounce of vanilla vodka, and 1 tablespoon of heavy cream. Slowly pour chilled champagne on top of the mixture. Garnish with an orange wedge and freeze it for an extra special touch.
With these activities, you can make the most of National Creamsicle Day and enjoy the nostalgic flavors in creative and delicious ways!
THE COLD HARD FACTS
Here are some fascinating facts about Popsicles:
• Every year, over 2 billion Popsicles are sold worldwide!
• The original Creamsicle flavor is a fan favorite, closely followed by cherry-flavored popsicles, according to various surveys.
• The largest Popsicle ever created holds a Guinness World Record, measuring a whopping 21 feet. It was made in the Netherlands in 1997.
• Kevin Strahle, hailing from Ridgewood, New Jersey, boasts the record for devouring the most Popsicles in one minute — an impressive 6 popsicles on December 7, 2017.
• Jimmy Prince, from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, holds the prestigious title of the world’s fastest Creamsicle eater, achieving the feat in a lightning-fast 11.81 seconds on July 7, 2014.
WHY WE LOVE NATIONAL CREAMSICLE DAY
Reasons we adore National Creamsicle Day:
- Nostalgia: The sound of the ice cream truck and the joy of childhood memories flood back as we celebrate Creamsicle Day, bringing a touch of nostalgia that warms our hearts.
- Sweet relief: Amidst the sweltering summer heat, Creamsicles come to our rescue, offering a delightful combination of sweetness and cooling sensation, making them the perfect summer treat.
- Local ice cream parlors: Supporting local ice cream parlors owned by families and individuals adds to the charm of the experience, creating cherished moments with friends and neighbors.
Mark your calendars for National Creamsicle Day:
- 2023: August 14 (Monday)
- 2024: August 14 (Wednesday)
- 2025: August 14 (Thursday)
- 2026: August 14 (Friday)
- 2027: August 14 (Saturday)
National Creamsicle Day FAQS:-
Why is it called creamsicle?
The delightful history of the Creamsicle dates back to 1905 when a curious 11-year-old named Frank Epperson engaged in a delicious experiment. He ingeniously coated vanilla ice cream with fruit juice, giving rise to his innovative creation. Originally dubbed the “epsicle,” this treat eventually evolved into the well-known names of popsicle, creamsicle, and dreamsicle over time.
What is a creamsicle?
Who invented creamsicle?
The ingenious creation of the creamsicle is attributed to Frank Epperson, who first devised this delightful treat in 1905. At the age of eleven, Epperson experimented with wrapping fruit juice around vanilla ice cream, resulting in the original ‘Epsicle.’ This invention would later adopt the names Popsicle, creamsicle, and even dreamsicle. Notably, the early versions exclusively featured an orange juice coating.